A People Divided
At a special election, held 1 Apr 1852, it was voted by the tax-payers of Jefferson Township, to issue to the Steubenville & Indiana Railway Company, township bonds to the amount of $100,000, to aid in the construction of this road. These bonds were to bear seven percent interest payable semi-annually, on the first day of January and July, and to mature 1 Jan 1862. This first issue of bonds was soon taken up and burned by the Township Trustees, because the County Auditor refused to register and officially sign them. On 22 Jul 1852 the Trustees re-issued these bonds, as set forth in the extract of the official record, given below:
“After due consideration, the Trustees took up, and destroyed by fire, the said $100,000 of bonds, and executed and delivered to said railway company, in lieu thereof, one hundred bonds of one thousand dollars ($1000) each, and numbered one to one thousand, consecutively, and dated them the same as the former issue, to-wit: April 1st 1852.”
Out of the issue of these bonds grew the trouble which, in October, 1853, resulted in the division of the township. Continue reading
Wilson Looses Head of His Office Force
Kansan Served Through Civil War and Was Mayor of Olothe
Death claimed Col. Sylvester R. Burch, chief clerk of the Department of Agriculture today at his apartment in the Sherman.
He had been sick for about two weeks. Last night his physicians saw every reason to hope for a speedy rally, but early this morning he began to sink.
Funeral services will probably be held at his late home Wednesday morning at 10:30 o’clock, after which, it is thought, the body will be taken to Olathe, Kan., a city of which he was twice mayor, for interment.
He is survived by a brother, who lives here; a brother, a son, and two daughters, who do not reside in this city.
Colonel Burch was born March 1, 1842, near Dresden, Ohio, but at an early age accompanied his parents to Linn County, Iowa. He entered the Government service in Washington in 1891. After holding various offices he was made chief clerk of the Bureau of Animal Industry on December 31, 1896 and chief clerk of the Department of Agriculture on September 1, 1903.
The bureau chiefs of the department met this morning, Acting Secretary Hays presiding, and resolutions were adopted extending sympathy to the family.
Colonel Burch enlisted as a private in the Twelfth Iowa Volunteer Infantry in October 1861. After two years of service he was promoted steadily until he reached the office of adjutant. He was in the principal battles of the armies of the Tennessee and Cumberland, and was taken prisoner at Shiloh.
After the war Colonel Burch returned to Linn county, Iowa, but later removed to Olathe, Kan., where he was engaged in the hotel business. He was for seven years the postmaster of the town.
He served for four years as the colonel of the First Regiment, Kansas National Guard.
- The Washington times. (Washington [D.C.]), 22 Aug. 1910. Chronicling America: Historic American Newspapers. Lib. of Congress. <http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84026749/1910-08-22/ed-1/seq-1/>
Mother of Mrs. Robt. Longstreth, Dies at Dresden, Ohio.
Mrs. Minerva E. Cresap, wife of the late Thomas Brent Cresap, was called to the heavenly mansions Saturday morning, October 26, 1901. The funeral was held at the M. E. church, the pastor , Rev. B. A. Stubbins, preaching the sermon and Rev. H. P. Barnes, D. D., assisting in the services.
Mrs. Cresap was the daughter of Thomas and Julianna Thistle, and was born in Cumberland, Maryland, September 15, 1813. She was married to Thomas Brent Cresap February 7, 1837. He was already located in Dresden in the dry goods business, having come here from Virginia several years before their marriage. His first store house was on the same corner as the present one, now occupied by Mr. Gore.
Mrs. Cresap accompanied her husband to Dresden soon after their marriage and they went to house-keeping in Dr. Pierce’s house now owned and occupied by Dr. Conley, and their first two children, Thomas Thistle and Juliana named for the parents of Mrs. Cresap, were born, who became great pets of the childless Doctor and “Auntie” Pierce. Later they bought a house next to the store and lived there for a time, then purchased the old home near the M. E. church were most of their lives were passed, with an interim of a few years spent in West Carlisle without selling their house or store here.
Mrs. Cresap was a devoted, happy and cheerful wife; through all reverses of fortune and sorrows incident to our earthly pilgrimage, loss of children and friends, she endeavored to look on the bright side and comfort her husband. ”She did him good all the days of her life and the heart of her husband did safely trust in her.” Her husband was called to his reward July 19, 1878 and from that time she looked forward to a joyful reunion in the better land. Continue reading